EVP Receiver / Laser Mic
We are changing the way you think about EVP.
Our EVP Receiver will allow you to extract Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) from reflective surfaces like glass, mirrors, and even water!
How is this possible? First a pen laser is pointed at a target object (such as a picture frame) and then the receiver is aligned with the reflected beam from the target object. As the laser beam strikes the target object, small vibrations from the surface of the target cause the laser beam to move slightly, this is known as “modulation”. This modulation in the laser beam is picked up by the laser mic receiver and converts it to audio.
To use the EVP Receiver, you’ll need a green or red laser pointer. Aim the laser pointer at a reflective surface and align the receiver with the reflected beam.
The EVP Receiver has a direct audio output and includes an audio cable. The audio output can be used with an external recording device or a amplifier for real time EVP.
- Requires 3 AAA batteries, not included.
- Laser pointer not included.
- Audio line out jack and cable included.
Made popular in the 1960’s, the CIA used a similar method with an infrared light source to perform covert surveillance. However, using an invisible light source is difficult to align and since the goal here is not covert espionage we make use of a visible light source from a pen laser. By utilizing visible pen lasers, users may set up multiple targets at multiple angles with minimal effort. A typical pen laser will have little to no issue bouncing across two to three targets at a distance of 500 feet. With fine tuning users may be able to achieve more extreme distances of over 2000 ft.
Always follow all safety recommendations when using your laser.
Be careful not to point the beam into anyone’s eye.
- The EVP Receiver requires 3 AAA batteries, not included. Make sure to use high quality, brand name lithium batteries.
- Carefully remove the back cover and install batteries in their proper orientation; note the + and – of the batteries.
- Carefully attach the lens to the device but turning clockwise. The lens may be removed for ease of storage when you are done.
Connect to Audio Output
- Connect the included audio cable to the top of the EVP Receiver.
- Connect the other end of the cable to audio output of your choice.
- An audio recorder will record your EVP.
- An amplifier will allow you to extract EVP in real time.
Optional- Mount the EVP Receiver
The EVP Receiver can be mounted to most camera tripods for a steady EVP extraction that simple to aim.
How to Use
You’ll need a green or red laser pointer (not included).
- Aim the pointer at a reflective surface.
- Align the EVP Receiver with the reflected beam.
- The audio will output to your attached audio device.
Extract EVP from a window by pointing your laser at a window.
Extract EVP from a picture by pointing your laser at the glass of frame.
Try pointing the laser off of a mirror to extract EVP from hand and wall mirrors!
You can also reflect your laser pointer off of water and extract EVP!
Proper Tuning requires Aligning the Laser To the Receiver
To align the receiver focus your laser on your reflective target (e.g. mirror, glass of water, window etc), the beam will typically exit the target object at a 90 degree angle or directly back at the source if straight on.
With the laser receiver on and connected to an amplifier align the beam to the center of the laser receiver. At this point you are attempting to locate the loudest response signal. Once you achieve basic centered alignment try to improve your results by slightly shifting the laser to the right or left to find the loudest possible signal.
The same principle needs to be applied when using multiple targets, such as reflecting off of two mirrors and then to the receiver.
When the laser is properly aligned with the EVP Receiver it will sound like running water or the ocean.